IHCA is pleased to present this Activity Directors Training Course. Well-trained and motivated activity staff, significantly add to the quality of life of residents in Nursing and Assisted Living facilities. This course is designed to provide a basic training for those new to the activity profession. This training is also an excellent course for Activity Assistants and the most experienced Activity Director.
- This course has been approved by the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare Bureau of Facility Standards, to meet the training requirements set forth in Federal Regulation F248.
- Classroom training consists of 6 Modules for ADs in Assisted Living Facilities and 6 Modules for ADs in Skilled Nursing Facilities (21 Hours for ALs and 34 Hours for SNFs).
- Supervised experience is required to demostrate the participant’s abilities to conduct the functions of Activity Directors in an LTC facility (1040 hours).
- Classroom training takes place approximately every 6 months at the IHCA Training Center in Meridian, ID.
The format for this training program is competency (skill-level) based – with a focus on the participant. Each competency is a statement that represents the knowledge, skills and attitude that effective Activity Directors should have. Each participant brings a unique background and varied experiences to this class.
Participants will have access to self-assessment tools in the beginning of each Module. The intent of this exercise is to identify areas of expertise that should be most focused upon for self-improvement. (provided in the Class Manual)
And at the end of each module, there will be a self-assessment tool of knowledge. Each participant should complete the self-assessment so as to identify how well the module content is understood. (provided as a Classroom Assignment)
The content presented is not meant to be all-inclusive. Many skills are learned best by doing. The learning resources available to the Activity Director are many, and self-directed learning following this course of training is strongly encouraged. Indeed, even essential to future success in the Activity Profession.
Hours Of Instruction:
This training program meets one of the qualifying options for Activity Directors identified in the document, Guidance To Surveyors – Long Term Care Facilities (Tag Number F249, pp 59), issued by Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, Bureau of Facility Standards.
In order to achieve a Certificate of Completion for this course, participants are required to execute the following:
- SNF participants are required to complete thirty-four (34) hours of classroom instruction / AL participants are required to complete twenty-one (21) hours of classroom training. (sample agenda below)
- Actual work experience in a long-term care facility is also required for successful course completion. Hours accumulated prior to attending the training can be included.
– A Mandatory 1040 hours of supervised work experience encompasses: Planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating projects and/or programs for residents.
- Completing each self-study assignment (3 Hours for ALs and 6 Hours for SNFs) – assignments will be emailed at the time of registration.
Modules and Competencies…Click Here
Verification of Work Experience Form… Click Here
Sample Case Studies (SNF Only)….Coming Soon