Date: 06/01 - 12/31
AHCA Infection Preventionist Specialized Training (IPCO)
AHCA Infection Preventionist Specialized Training (IPCO) is a specialized course of study for healthcare professionals who desire to serve as Infection Preventionists (IPs) as established in the CMS Reform of Requirements of Participation for Long Term Care Facilities. Through this program, individuals will be specially trained to effectively implement and manage an Infection Prevention and Control Program in a nursing center.
It addresses both clinical and organizational systems, processes and cultural aspects of infection prevention and control which are fundamental to effectively leading and administering a center’s Infection Prevention & Control program.
The training is an on-line, self-study program on ahcancalED. The training includes online lectures, case studies and interactive components taught by an array of experts from around the country.
Students who complete this course successfully will be able to:
• Effectively manage an Infection Prevention and Control Program within their health care setting
• Convey to staff effective strategies to prevent infections
• Implement practices and procedures to mitigate infections
• Enforce practices and policies related to infection prevention
• Provide on-going education to others including staff, residents and families
Individual module objectives are found in the module resource tab within the module presentations; be sure to access and review for each module.
• All required materials are included within the content of the online course.
• Conveniently located in the upper right hand corner within each module, is a section marked “resources”. There you will find a module guide with detailed information about each module along with a list of resources the faculty members thought you should review to help you be more successful.
• We recommend that you use a binder or download an electronic file form to organize the materials for future reference.
Participants will find nine main modules and within are an array of lessons. In most cases, several faculty members contributed to the module. There are quizzes throughout the course. You must succeed in correctly answering at least 80% of the questions before you can move forward to the next module.
Within the modules, faculty members provide specific educational material and frequently direct participants to specific resources available on the internet. The intention is that those seeking specialized training as an Infection Preventionist will take time to review and learn these materials as well. As in any self-study course, the participant owns the responsibility of learning and reviewing these materials. Some of the test questions at the end will be drawn from these materials.
We encourage you to make a schedule by creating calendar appointments for yourself, setting aside specific time to listen and study. Set a goal of immersing yourself in the course and reviewing the resources for several hours a week to maximize your experience. Consider the time frame in which you would like to complete this specialized training. You have nine (9) months to complete the course from the date you open the course but, most participants, following the advice above could successfully complete and receive their certificate in a much quicker time frame.
Please let us know about any concerns on any topic or issue related to the course at firstname.lastname@example.org
Statement of Grading Approach
At the end of various modules, you will have an opportunity to take a quiz. To advance to the next module, you will need to achieve a score of 80%. After all modules have been completed, there will be a final test which will serve as the comprehensive evaluation determining your successful completion of this specialized training for Infection Preventionists.
You will need to achieve a score of 80% on the final test. Be sure to take notes and review your handouts and resources before taking the final test. You are welcome to refer to any course materials and self-research to help you with completing the quizzes and final test.
Two certificates will be awarded upon successful completion of the program:
1. UNMC CON CNE will provide a certificate awarding contact hours.
2. AHCA will provide a Specialized Training Completion certificate, valid for 3 years.
See Flyer for list of Instructors
Course FAQ – HERE
Course Syllabus – HERE
$450 for IHCA – AHCA/NCAL members and
$650 for non-members.
There are no refunds and no transfers. Registrants have one year to complete the course.
Members will need to login with their AHCA/NCAL usernames and passwords to register for IPCO Version 2.
For help obtaining AHCA/NCAL usernames and passwords, members should e-mail email@example.com with their name and facility contact information.